Jane's chocolate cake - officially the most amazing chocolate cake ever...

Sunday 16 October 2011

OK, so with a title like that, this cake had better live up to expectations...

The recipe is from Jane - a family friend - and I have been eating this cake for birthdays and special occasions for most of my life.. and yes, I even had it as my Wedding cake. I had originally suggested having a Wedding cake shaped like a lobster (because I love the beast yet we could not afford to feed all our guests real lobster). However, this idea was vetoed and instead the cake was heart shaped (admittedly much more romantic and Wedding-appropriate) and covered with Gullian sea shells (and a plastic lobster!) to subdue my crustacean cravings.

Admittedly it's a fair bit more work than a simple all-in-one chocolate sponge but I promise you the results are more than worth the effort... the resulting cake is sticky, densely chocolatey and utterly moreish. Don't cheat on the icing either, it might seem like an extra slog to make proper ganache instead of a quick buttercream but it really is the icing on the cake (scuse the pun)

The best wedding cake ever!

The recipe for this little beauty is below...




Ingredients:
For the cake...
- 9oz plain flour
- 4 oz drinking chocolate
- 6 oz margarine
- 6oz golden syrup
- 3 oz soft brown sugar
- 2 x eggs
- 7oz milk
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the chocolate ganache...
- 200g double cream
- 200g good quality chocolate

To start, make sure you have 2 sandwich tins greased and lined. Melt the margarine, syrup and sugar in a saucepan and then add to the sieved flour and chocolate powder. Add the beaten eggs and whisk. The mixture will be very thick at this stage - and I have a tendency to cover myself and my kitchen with thick chocolate mixture (although I'm sure the cake will work just as well if you miss this stage out).

Heat the milk to blood temperature (i.e. just lukewarm) and then ad to the bicarb. Add the milk mixture to the chocolate and whisk thoroughly. The mix will now be very runny (it's supposed to be).

Split the chocolate mixture between the two sandwich tins and cook at 150C for 40 - 50 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).

To make the ganache, you need equal parts of double cream and good quality chocolate (I use one bar of green and blacks dark chocolate and one of their milk bars). Heat the double cream until it's nearly boiling then remove from the heat. Add the chocolate (broken into small pieces). The heat from the cream will melt it. Leave to cool and then whisk until thick. Smother your cake and then lick the bowl clean.

Enjoy with cream, ice cream, or just on its own with a cup of tea.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I baked it :) It was amazing! Great and precise recipe! Thank you very much :)

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...