Toad in the hole

Monday 19 September 2011

As the evenings are getting colder and it's starting to get dark outside before I leave the office, my weekday dinners are getting ever more homely and comforting. Tonight's supper was a classic toad in the hole (but spiced up a little with the addition of port and smoked garlic to my caramelised onion gravy).

Recipe follows below...



Serves 3 (or 2 greedy people like me and my husband)

  • 6 good quality sausages
  • 75g plain flour
  • 75ml milk
  • 55ml water
  • 1 large egg
  • tablespoon of olive oil
  • 2 red onions 
Preheat the oven to 220C. Make the batter by sifting the four into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg. Combine the egg and flour then add the liquid slowly, beating steadily with a balloon whisk.

cut the red onions into wedges and place in a baking tin with the sausages (prick the sausages all over to help release the fat). Cook for 10 minutes then add the oil. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the oil is hot and smoking. 


Add the batter and bake for 30 minutes until the batter is golden brown. 


Serve with mash, peas and onion gravy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...